Monday, June 11, 2012

Filipino Parties and Food

Whenever my husband tells me we're going to such and such event, it is often followed by me asking, Is there going to be any food? Growing up in a Filipino household and going to Filipino parties has left me with this expectation of being fed whenever I go to a house party. And not just being fed, but being fed really well. My family would always go to these parties a couple times a month as, within the Filipino community that lived in Hawaii, it was always someone's birthday that need to be celebrated. More food than could be eaten was always served, but it was served with an understanding the guests would take some home. And so, every party party we went to we ate to our heart's content and left with the party host pretty much forcing us to take food home 

Hoy! you bring house, huh?!? Here! Take some more!!!

But life has taught me that not every party is going to feed you like a Filipino party, but in the back of my mind, I still have this expectation.

Is that so much to ask? To be fed good food that will not leave me hungry and wanting to make a Taco Bell stop after I leave a party? Or to want to leave in order to make a taco bell run so that I won't be hungry during a party.

Unfortunately, there have been many a social gathering that has left me disappointed in only being fed cheese, bread, crackers, grapes, and sun chips.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm ungrateful for the cheese and crackers, it just leaves me hungry

This past weekend I went to a friend's housewarming/Pacquiao fight party that had food galore. Fried Chicken. Fried Rice. Lumpia. Pancit. etc etc I walked in the house with my meager tater tot casserole dish and my mouth seriously went ajar at seeing all the food. 



2012-06-09_19-17-58_638.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the picture and see the red velvet cake, I'm like.. dammit, I didn't get any of that!

2012-06-09_19-18-27_999.jpg

Oh, and there was more food, but I got a little self conscious at being looked at as weird for taking photos of food.

To my husband: See! See!!! This is what I'm talking about!

Needless to say, we ate throughout the night. At least I did. Even the next day I couldn't help but think about how full I still felt from the night before. I was a happy camper. 

I know not every event I go to is going to leave me as satiated as this one, but what can you do? I guess what I can do is make sure that my own social gatherings don't leave guests as disappointed as I would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment