Monday, August 20, 2012

So... I fed my mother-in-law Filipino food

My mother-in-law came into town from Kansas for her 'once a year trip to Seattle' to visit us.


We went to some wineries in the Woodinville area


Mathews Vineyard... so so wine

Chateau de Michelle - made me want to live in a Chateau









Hung out on the beach
Jeti Island Beach

Went to Mt Rainier and got bit by mosquitoes. (Damn you mosquitoes! Damn you!)






And.... we ate Filipino food.

I mean, we ate other foods as well (Buffalo Wild Wings, Thai, Subway, Sonic Burger, Belgium waffles), but feeding my mother-in-law Filipino food was an epic event in itself as I had spent the week prior contemplating Should I ? Or shouldn't I? and if I do, what should I make?

Oh, the problems that we who live in a first world country have to face on a daily basis.

It was partly for selfish reasons that I wanted to make my mother-in-law some Filipino cuisine: I had this craving, one of those deep resounding cravings that wouldn't get out of my head. I would be reading my book about vampires or what not, and all of a sudden the thought would cross my head of mmmm.... longanisa.... with rice... mmmmm. Or, I would be doing one of my runs in the neighborhood and would pass by a house fumed by Filipino food (or at least I wanted to believe that it was Filipino food) and my stomach to start to rumble in hunger at it's first scent.

I suppose that's what happens when you eat Filipino food almost every day of your youth, then you grow up, move out of your parents house, and marry a white guy who likes eating healthy stuff like... turkey wraps, brown rice, and whole wheat bread. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind eating healthy. In fact it's probably a good thing that I've started to eat better considering that Filipinos are known to have conditions of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc etc. I'm pretty sure it has to do with diet, but like I said... I get these cravings where I just have to have it.

My hesitancy in cooking my mother-in-law Filipino food was due to the fact that I didn't know if she was going to like it or not. I mean, she's from Kansas where they have chicken huts that sell fried chicken in the middle of no where.

Frotenec, Kansas... this chicken actually gave me food poisening... and the water tastes funny. But Grandma Hulk loves eating here.
And I dont think Asian cuisine has much of presence or is as diverse in the midwest as in the West Coast. 

But I gauged what to make her based on two things :  what people from other different ethnicities have told me they enjoyed in Filipino cuisine and what I have fed my husband that he liked. Nothing gooey, nothing with crawling legs, no fetus' of an bird (balut), nothing weird.

 I decided to make her adobo, pancit, and rice. A basic enjoyable dish. 

I think she liked it. I eyed her like a hawk... well, I tried to be inconspicuous during dinner, but I was watching if she took seconds.. and I think she did. ...I think...O great, now I don't remember. :( What if she didn't like it? She might've said mmmm... this is good ... but she could have just been saying it just to be nice ... that is .. if she said it. Now I don't know anymore. ... o dear. 

I probably am doubting myself and making a big deal out of nothing for no good reason, but people's taste buds are different and it's tough but introducing ethnic foods to people that you're not quite sure how they're taste buds will react. What I do know for sure that she didn't get sick afterwards from my food... because we had the epic day at Mt Rainier and she was fine. ... that's a good thing, right? Maybe I'll offer to make it again next time she comes... and if her face cringes even the slightest bit... I'll know for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment