Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Filipino Misconception: We speak Spanish?

I feel like nothing gets more America than the Midwest

The flat endless, open land that gives one a sense of freedom just looking out into the sunrise. It just screams out America!

 I made it out to Kansas this holiday season to visit my husband's family


And during a dinner conversation, I had a conversation with my mother-in-laws companion about what language is spoken by Filipinos.

Larry: Now, your mother is Filipino
Me: Yepp
Larry: So that means that she speaks Spanish?
Me: No.
Larry: Oh - so no hablas espanol?
Me: Not really....

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are people who hold misconceptions about Filipinos, but I kind of was.  Having grown up in Hawaii and Seattle where there are Filipinos and Asians everywhere, I've never had to explain my anything to anyone. My Filipino history and culture was always just something that I grew up knowing and taking for granted.

But like I said, it shouldn't surprise me. People grow up in different environments where they learn to have difference perceptions. and I'm sure I make the same sort of generalities about other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment