Sunday, November 10, 2013

Goldilocks Bakery and other Gifts from the Mama

Wow, it's been a while since I wrote in this blog. The honest truth : I have been having writer's block. Particularly when it comes to this subject of 'Filipino'.

I started this blog, thinking - yea, this is something I could write infinite amounts of entries on, but lately -had not had a lot of inspirations. I think it's because I don't hang around my parents a lot, or a lot of Filipinos in general . Or maybe I haven't had the opportunity to think about this sort of stuff... I don't know.

Anyways, I don't know if I wrote about this or not, but my brother and I got my parents tickets to California a couple of months ago for their birthdays, which they just came back from a couple of days ago. 

"Mom," I said before they left. "Can you get pastillas at Goldilocks? 

For those of you who don't know what Goldilocks is, it's a Filipino bakery that has a chain of bakeries in the Philippines and the US. In the US, the bakery has a ton of locations in California, skips over Oregon and Washington, and then there's one in Canada. Which, what the hell Goldilocks? How the hell are you going to skip over the Northwest and then have a spot in Canada? That's messed up. 

But I digress. 

So I ask my mom for pastillas before she left of California. Honestly, I didn't know that the candy that I wanted was called pastillas.  I remember is a friends mom getting them a kid and liking them so much that they left a lasting impression on me, 15 years later. So I googled 'milk Filipino candy' and pastillas came up in the search and so requested that from my mom. 

She comes back on from her trip, and not only gets me the requested candy, she gets 4 containers of it, two spaceshirts from this museum she went to, a huge bag of ensyamadas, a huge bag of mamon - French sponge cake, 2 bags of space food, and a hello kitty blanket. I swear, when she was unpacking her suitcase it was like Christmas.

"omg," I said, wide eyed like a little kid. "what am I supposed to do with all these food?!"

"Eat it," my mom said matter of factly.

So, that is what I'm working on right now, eating a bunch of Goldilocks pastries before it goes bad. I have until November 12th, the "Best By" date on the packaging. I brought some to work to share with coworkers, but I still have a lot more at home. Ay soos!

A little snippet of everything my mom got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment