Tuesday, December 31, 2013

In Flight : A novel by Jose Dalisay

I'm 30 pages in, but from what I can tell. Jose Dalisay is good writer, ... like a really good one. I feel like such a failure of a Filipino for never hearing about this guy, his writings, or his books, but apparently, he's won multiple awards, lectured at multiple universities around the world, and is director of some literary program at some University

I feel like destiny brought me and his book together. From the very beginning, even though I didn't quite know it myself, I feel like my purpose in starting this "Filipino" blog was to bring myself closer to a culture that at times seemed distant to me - and yet by birthright, is a part of who I am, even though I don't quite understand it. We look at History, and while sometimes change and evolution can be a positive thing, it can be sad to witness a loss of what once was.  Maybe it was in vain that I started this blog, trying to find my connection with a culture that maybe was slipping from me. Maybe no one reads this. Maybe no one cares. I don't know

But, I found his book at the library...just by wandering around and letting Fate lead me to it. Like I said, I'm only 30 pages in, but I feel like even within the first pages, Dalisay has made me feel more connected with this Filipino side of me. Its a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment